Appearances are sorted by author and location. Just click on the labels at right to find your favorite!
AbeBooks - Signed Books

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Audio Book Review: Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in Encore for Murder by Max Allan Collins

The New Adventures of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer Volume 3: Encore for Murder by Max Allan Collins
Grade: A

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big Mike Hammer fan. I really feel like I should be, but generally haven't found the books to be that interesting.

On the other hand, I'm a huge Max Allan Collins fan. I've read everything he's written from the Quarry novels to Nolan to Heller and everything in between. The Heller novels in particular are some of the best historical mysteries out there

His posthumous collaborations with Spillane have lead me to revisit the topic. So I came to this not sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised.

Simply put, this is a great presentation and great story. Mike Hammer is brought into to protect actress and former flame Rita Vance and the normal gunplay and adventure ensues. The great thing about this Blackstone Audio presentation is that it's not simply an audiobook; it's a full cast audio presentation complete with sound effects. All in all, a superb listening experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The All-New Nook(TM): The simple Touch Reader just for $139 - Pre Order Now at Barnes & Noble!